Sunday, October 18, 2009

Whitehaven settled


Yeah for leaving the IOM! Karyn jumping for joy on Mt Karrin

Sun setting over the IOM from St Bees beach below Whitehaven.

Well we are well and truely settled into Whitehaven now. The Isle of Man feels like a long time ago!

St Bees Beach Sunset sand








Last weekend found us in Wales with Fi and Stu (friends from NZ living in Bristol). We stayed at a backpackers in Betws-y-coed Snowdonia which is a lovely thriving tourist town with lots of shopping, walking, mountain biking etc for those with the inclination. I was still feeling under the weather so let the others get on with the training weekend before the Portugal race.First up for them was a hike up Mt Snowden via the extreme scrambling route (shear drop off on either side) and a walk back to the hostel where I had returned with the car. The next day involved biking the Marin trail near by. Check out Orion's blog or Fi's facebook for more pics etc. Both offered fantastic views of what country side could be seen through the fog and drizzle but all in all a successful weekend had by all.
This week has seen me sole charge for the community and the ward which after two weeks on the job had me scrambling a bit, normally there are 3 of us! - I am sure things will get faster when I learn where to find everything in each department! Never mind had a few unusual cases arrived on the ward but no disasters and I got through all the others I had booked in and those unexpectedly needing to be seen, I will be glad to hand back to the ward Physio that's for sure - I think I will stick with community for a while longer! This week has also seen Neil back in the role of working man. He is working for an accountancy firm (Robinsons and co) in Workington (10 mins train ride north). Its a month by month contract but they have at least 3 months worth of work and if things keep going as they are then more beyond that. Apparently it's pretty boring work but still I think he is happy to be earning.
This weekend saw us exploring a bit closer to home. We headed to Keswick (pronounced without the w) for some shopping for the race and warm winter clothes. Neil hasn't had much access to kayaks for a while so he hit the Derwant water (which is a lake but for some reason you have to call it 'water') while I took it easy on some of the rides in Winlatter forest park. Everything is all Autumn colours and very pretty at the moment. There is defiantly a chill in the air. The weather was stunning which I am told to appreciate as it will be lacking for the next 6-7 months.

The trails in Winlatter Forest Park

Autum Colours (and air temp!)

Today with typical English prediction was drizzly but still we headed on down to Wast water to be blown about in some river kayaks. We have joined the kayak club here but the sea kayaks are few and far between still it was good to get out and try the new paddles - very nice they were too!

We have also managed to join the local Orienteering club. This weeks run was around the marina and lower part of the town and parks. Due to the risk of the ident boxes being tampered with we had to get to the circle then identify what we could see on the ground with the corresponding picture on the boarder of the map. All very well in the dusk then dark. Still it was fun in a 'not so hurried because we were peering into the dark kinda way' through we must have looked pretty stupid to Joe Average!
Well best get ready for work in the morn!

No comments:

Post a Comment